Monday, June 2, 2014

This is SAQA Europe/Middle East: The Netherlands

Meta Heemskerk



As long as I can remember I’ve loved to create, from drawing to making rabbit-hutches, I would just try everything. In the summer of 2009 I thought I could have a go at making a quilt. I’d always admired those colourful patchwork quilts. I went to a quiltshop and just loved all the colourful fat quarters sitting in rows of baskets. I went home with a simple pattern and the supplies I would need.

But I soon realized traditional quilting wasn’t my thing, I’m not patient enough to make lots of similar blocks. So instead of following the pattern I did my own thing and made several improvised pieces of work.

Surfing the internet I found out that what I did was called artquilting and a whole new world opened up to me. I loved everything and was very eager to learn. Through the internet so much information has become available.


Over the past five years I’ve attended several workshops, took the City & Guilds course ‘Creative Quiltmaking’, the City & Guilds course ‘level 3 Certificate Creative Embroidery’ and at the moment I’m working on the Diploma course. I’ve also just finished the course ‘Quilten Speciaal’, organized by the Dutch Quilters Guild.

Two years ago I started Galleribba, an online gallery for small wall art. Members each have their own gallery page with their website and email address, so potential buyers can contact the artist directly for further details.
Artists are either invited by me or they can apply for membership.
It’s so nice to browse galleribba.com to see lots of lovely work in one place. In 2016 Galleribba will exhibit at the Expo Veldhoven in The Netherlands.

My website: greeninthemiddle.nl

2 comments:

  1. Nice to get to know you Meta. It is surprising that you have only done art quilting for a short time. It looks like you have found your niche!
    I am looking forward to looking at the links and discovering more of your work.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to get to know you, too!

    ReplyDelete