Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Grand Gallery of Europe/Middle East's Contributions to the SAQA Benefit Auction part

Uta Lenk: The Making of Shapes 19

I had started early this year, to be well in time with my contribution to the SAQA Benefit Auction, and managed to produce a nice little quilt with text on itwhich was slightly too bigAfter consulting with the organizers, who said that they had had difficulties selling quilts that were of ‘odd size’ rather than the 12” required for the auction, I went on and made another one. In my current series Shapes I had made three pieces which left me with a number of cut out circles. Being an all-time scavenger, of course I could not throw these out, and decided to use them.
I juxtaposed the circles with a few squares left over from another project, and played around with the orientation, first, and the backgrounds, second.










Rough edge appliqué, sinking threads on the back, and a densely stitched zigzag edge make it all complete.







This time, I managed to keep within the size restrictions, and even made the early bird deadline.



Please take a look at my website for quilts www.justquilts.de, my website for hand-dyed fabrics www.justcolours.de, and my blogs in German http://justcolours-uta.blogspot.de/

and in English http://utalenk-justquilts.blogspot.de/ (they differ from each other). 

This quilt will be in section 1 of the Benefit Auction, beginning on Sept. 15 th. Help support SAQA, and build your art quilt collection by bidding often!

3 comments:

  1. I really like the colour contrast and the variation in the repetition. Interesting, isn't it, how you can try to make things go right to left and they end up needing to be left to right. Possibly the connection with reading?
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One would have to ask a native speaker/reader of Arab about their impressions to find out more about that. Would be quite an interesting research topic for neuroligists, I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the bidding on your piece which should begin very soon.

    ReplyDelete