Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Grand Gallery of SAQA Europe/Middle East's Contributions to the 2014 Benefit Auction

Elizabeth Hoadley-Maidment (GB)

Potting Shed began with monoprinting onto calico with black ink.  I cut out templates for the watering can and flower pots and used a wide toothed comb to create the vertical lines in the background.  The unique thing, though, is the use of Chromacoal to colour the 'picture'.  I seem to remember that those of us who took this workshop went and bought up almost the entire remaining stock of Chromacoal in the UK.  This had something to do with it having been discontinued because of health and safety issues but if you look at Bobby's website you will see the work where she has used it.

Having coloured the top, I put it on a stiff wadding that Bobby recommended and then free machine quilted it.  Then I had no idea what to do with it so it sat in a box with other the same size.  When I read about the Benefit Auction I realised it was a really good cause.  This is SAQA's main fund-raiser, based on donations from members.  I do not really expect this to sell but it might appeal to someone who wants a decoration on a gardening theme.  The other thing is that it has made me realise how much I like this size of quilt so I am all set to make some more, using up some of my UFOs.

"Potting Shed"

Read more about my work here: http://reensstitcher.blogspot.de/2014/06/saqa-benefit-auction.html


This quilt will be up for auction in section 3 of the Benefit Auction, beginning on Sept. 29th . Help support SAQA, and at the same time build your art quilt collection by bidding often!

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of printing onto calico with black ink. Is this normal black ink used for ink pens?
    The plant pots have great dimension!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely piece. I'm glad that you decided to send it off.

    ReplyDelete